Our 4-year-old Program provides children with a language-rich environment where children learn through play and experience. Play serves as an important part of a children’s physical, emotional and social development and is an integral component of each day. Our 4- year-old program includes a variety of experiences to support reading readiness, writing development and math skills. This is a STEM based program designed to help children become problem solvers, explorers, using basic skills such as adding, subtracting, measuring and estimating. Creativity and individuality are nurtured and encouraged daily.
4-year-olds are joyous, exuberant, energetic and ready for anything. They are excited by their freedom to express themselves, love adventure, new places, new games, new books, and new activities. It is such a pleasure to provide a child of this age with the experiences of preschool. Nothing is better than the sparkling eyes of 4-year-olds as they listen to a new book at story time or participate in an exciting nature activity. The questions asked and comments made by 4-year-olds are filled with imagination and curiosity. They approach activities with skill and concentration. By the end of the school year they are ready and confident for kindergarten.
• Tracing, writing letters • A well-stocked bookcase • Phonics • Handwriting skills • Making up stories and rhymes • Introduces to Dolch Sight words • Weekly Reader Books • Word Families • Rhyming • Letter Matching and Order • Introduced to Poetry • Complete open-ended sentences and concepts • Can retell favorite books • Will predict outcome of stories or give alternative ending • Writing words and simple sentences • Introduced to Full Name, Address, Phone Number and Birthdate
Math and Numbers:
• Count 1 – 100 • Skip count • Recognize Patterns • Determine Sequences • Puzzles • Introduced to Time by Hour / Half Hour • Introduced to Money/Coins and value • Addition • Subtraction • Less than/ Greater than • Sorting with color/shape/size • Measurements • Estimation • Positions, directions, distances
Time and Science: • Calendar – days of the week, months of the year • Solar System • Water Cycle • Weather • The 4 Seasons • Temperature • Frog Cycle • Butterfly Cycle
• Various CDs • Music Teacher on site
• Materials such as paint, paint brushes, shaving cream, crayons, markers, chalk, paper
• Art Work on Walls
• My family • Our Classroom Community • Our Community,
• Different Countries
• Famous people (George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Martin Luther King, etc.)
• A playground with climbing equipment, swings, slides • Enough room for children to move around and play • Suitable alternate to the outdoor playground on rainy days • Sandbox station for play
2505 Mt. Pleasant Road Chesapeake, VA 23322 757- 482-5355